10 Interesting Carbon Facts
- Carbon is the basis of life. It occurs in all known forms of life.
- Diamonds, one of the hardest substances known to man & graphite, one of the softest; both are forms of carbon.
- Carbon is made in the interiors of stars.
- Carbon melts at 3800 degrees Celcius, which is the highest melting point of any element.
- The word carbon is derived from the Latin word carbo, which means charcoal.
- Carbon is a non metal which can bond with many other chemical elements and can form over ten million compounds.
- Carbon has been known since ancient times in the form of soot, graphite, charcoal and diamonds.
- Carbon was named by the chemist Antoine Lavoisier.
- After hydrogen, helium, and oxygen, carbon is the 4th most abundant element in the universe.
- The most recently discovered allotrope of carbon is graphene.
Head on to Chemistry for Kids for more such interesting chemistry videos and interactive articles.