Cooling Through Time
A timeline about the history of cooling inventions.
- From 3050 BC – 645 AD : In ancient Egypt, slaves fanned pharaohs with lotus leaves.
- 200 AD : Roman emperors had mountain snow brought to their gardens.
- 1040-1797 AD : Wind towers developed in medieval Persia. They feature small windows that capture gusts of wind and funnel them downwards. They are still used in the Middle East.
- 1882 : Schuyler Skaats Wheeler uses the new science of electricity to invent the electric fan.
- 1902 : 25 year old Willis Carrier invents the air conditioner.
- 1930 : The cooler is developed. It uses evaporative cooling, like the ancient Egyptians did.
- Future : Cooling by sound waves instead of refrigerants in air conditioners is being tested.
- Future : Magnetic air conditioners that use magnets instead of compressors and refrigerants could replace current air conditioners.