Craziest Roads in the World
6 of the Worlds Craziest Roads
Roads are the principal means of transport and an important medium of connecting various places.
Engineers around the world have carved some of the most fascinating and incredible routes over massive mountains, through densely populated cities and on top of some impassable bodies of water. Here are some of the world’s most notable roads and why they stand out:
Longest Road in the World
- The Pan-American Highway is the longest road in the world. 24,140 km – 15,000 miles. It connects Alaska and Brazil.
- Drivers who cover the entire route have to pass through 16 countries including the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Widest Road in the World
- The Katy Freeway in the city of Texas is the widest highway in the world.
- It has 26 lanes at certain parts and serves more than 219,000 vehicles daily.
Highest Road in the World
- The Karakoram Highway is the highest paved international road in the world. Built at an elevation of 4,693 meters (15,397 ft) it is one of the most popular tourist attractions the world over.
- This road is about 800 miles long and links Pakistan and China. This highway was built mutually by both the countries and it took 8 years to become fully functional.
- Due to its high elevation and the difficult conditions in which it was constructed, it is also sometimes referred to as the “Eighth Wonder of the World.”
- The Karakoram Highway is also known as “KKH” and the China National Highway 314 (G314).
Deadliest Road in the World
- The North Yungas Road is infamous all over the world for its extreme danger and hence it is also known as the ‘Death Road.’
- It is a 61 to 69 km road leading from La Paz to Coroico in the Yungas region of Bolivia. The road ranges in elevation from 4000 feet to more than 15,000 feet and is as narrow as 10 feet in certain sections.
- In 1995, the Inter-American Development Bank christened the North Yungas Road as the “World’s most dangerous road.”
- There are no traffic sign boards or guardrails and thousands of people have lost their lives in accidents that have happened on this road.
- Jeremy Clarkson, the host of the BBC’S popular show ‘Top Gear,’ also traveled on this road and he dodged death by just a narrow margin, when the road began to crumble below the tyres of his range rover.
- He would certainly never want to go back there ever!
Most Beautiful Road in the World
- The Stelvio Pass is the highest paved mountain pass in the Eastern Alps and considered to be the most beautiful road in the world. It is 144 kms long and connects Switzerland and Italy.
- With 48 hairpins, this road is regarded as one of the finest continuous hairpin routes in the Alps that offers some breathtaking views of nature.
Most Interesting Road in the World
- This spectacular tunnel is one of the few ways to travel to the remote Guoliang village in China’s Hunan Province.
- This tunnel was chiseled by hand in the 1970s and is considered a sculpture more than a means of transportation by the people.
- The tunnel passes through a dangerous section of the Taihang Mountains and is lined with makeshift windows that provide scenic, but terrifying views.
- With a clearance of only 15 feet, a width of 12 feet and a deep chasm around every other bend, travelling on this route is a guaranteed thrill. Any volunteers?
For more such interesting General Knowledge articles and videos, visit: http://mocomi.com/learn/general-knowledge/