Crush a Can without Force
How to crush a Coke Can without Physical Force
What You Need
- Coke Can
- Cold Water
- Deep Bowl
- Gas Stove
8 Steps to crush a can without force
- Take an empty metal soda can like a small Coke Can; and wash it.
- Now fill a deep bowl with almost ice cold water.
- Add a couple of drops of water to the soda can; just enough to cover the surface of the bottom of the can.
- Hold the can using tongs; and carefully hold it over a lighted gas stove.
- Just allow the water inside the can to boil; or make the bubbling sound with water vapor rising up from inside of the can.
- Now immediately invert the can and insert it inside the bowl filled with cold water.
- Remember you are still holding the can using the tongs.
- The can implodes! It was that easy to squash the can.
How did it happen?
Now let us understand the science behind it all.
- The can was initially filled with water vapour (water which boils into gas) and air.
- When you turned the can inside the cold water, the vapor changed into water again.
- This had miniscule amount of pressure compared to the greater pressure of the water outside.
- Nature always craves for equilibrium; and thus “implosion” or cracking at the center of the can occurred to balance the internal and external pressure.
For more such science experiments and articles, visit Science for Kids.