Fun Facts about Dinosaurs
10 Interesting Facts about Dinosaurs
- The word dinosaur means terrible lizard and comes from Greek.
- Scientists divided dinosaurs into two groups according to the shape of their hip bones.
- They were called lizard hipped (or saurischian) or bird hipped (or ornithischian).
- The heaviest dinosaur was Brachiosaurus. Its weight was equivalent to 17 African elephants.
- There has been much speculation about this, as one more dinosaur Argentinosaurus is assumed by scientists to be bigger and heavier.
- There is also an asteroid in the solar system named after Brachiosaurus.
- Megalosaurus was the first dinosaur to be formally named, in 1824.
- Ashok Sahni, famous Indian paleontologist, discovered one of the earliest known dinosaurs- Rajasaurus narmadensis- from the banks of river Narmada. He also discovered the country’s earliest known bird fossil- the Vastanavis.
- The Dinosaur Provincial Park in Canada is considered as the world’s greatest dinosaur graveyard as nearly 40 kinds of dinosaurs have been found there.
- The dinosaur wall in Utah (Western USA) has hundreds of dinosaur fossils on a ledge of sloping rock.
To read and watch more such such interesting General Knowledge articles and videos, go here.