High Fibre Foods Benefits
What does fibre do for your body?
We need fibre to keep things moving in our digestive tract. It helps make us feel full. A daily diet rich in fibre helps prevents us from having constipation problem. They are also good sources of nutrients and vitamins which may help reduce risk of heart disease and certain type of cancer and obesity.
What are good sources of fibre?
- Whole-grain breads and cereals
- Fruits like apples, oranges, bananas, berries, prunes, and pears
- Vegetables like green peas, broccoli, spinach, and artichokes
- Legumes (split peas, soy, lentils, etc.)
How much fibre should kids get?
- Toddlers (1-3 years old) should get 19 grams of fiber each day.
- Kids 4-8 years old should get 25 grams a day.
- Older girls (9-13) and teen girls (14-18) should get 26 grams of fiber a day.
- Older boys (9-13) should get 31 grams and teen boys (14-18) should get 38 grams per day.
Looking for more Health Tip articles? Go to: Ask Coley for Kids.