12 Interesting Facts about Indian Railways
- The first train in India ran between Bombay and Thane on the 16th of April 1853.
- The Vembanad Rail Bridge is the longest rail bridge in India.
- IR has about 63,028 km of track and employs over 1.55 million people.
- There are nearly 13,000 trains running in india.
- Nearly 20 million passengers travel in trains everyday.
- The Kharagpur platform measuring over 850 meters is the longest platform in the world.
- The shortest station name is Ib in Orissa.
- Sri Venkatanarasimharajuvariapeta in Tamil Nadu is the longest station name.
- The Karbude tunnel between Monkey hill and Khandala is 6.5 km long.
- India’s first underground metro was built in Kolkata.
- The first computerized reservations took place in New Delhi in 1986.
- The Vivek Express is the longest train journey covering 4286 km in 82 hours.
For more such interesting General Knowledge articles and videos, visit: GK for Kids.