Mecca : The Sacred City
9 Interesting Mecca Facts
- Mecca is regarded as the birthplace of Prophet Muhammad and features at the top of the list of most visited places on Earth.
- Mecca is located in the heart of Sirat Mountains of Central Saudi Arabia.
- Only Muslims are permitted to enter Mecca.
- The central point of Mecca is the Ka’bah, or the ‘House of God’ and is covered in a gold-embroidered black fabric.
- The pilgrims have to circle the Ka’bah seven times.
- There is a ‘Well of Zamzam’ in Mecca, the water of which is believed to have special properties and health benefits.
- Ancient Mecca was an oasis on the caravan trade route that connected the Mediterranean world with South Arabia, East Africa, and South Asia.
- Pilgrimage to Mecca is known as ‘Haj.’ Haj pilgrimage is the fifth of the fundamental Muslim practices known as the ‘Five Pillars of Islam.’
- An interesting ritual known as the ‘Stoning of the Satan’ is practiced at Mecca in which the pilgrims throw stones at three different Haj pillars representing the Satan.
For more such interesting General Knowledge articles and videos, visit: General Knowledge for Kids.