Sounds from Wine Glasses
- 4 wine glasses
WHAT TO DO
- Arrange the four wine glasses in a line on a table.
- Pour water in them, so that all four have different levels of water. The water levels should be in descending order. So, the first glass should be three fourths full, the next a little more than half full. The third should be a little less than half full, and the last one should be a quarter full of water.
- Now, dip your finger in the water in the first glass, holding it steady with your other hand. Rub your wet finger along the rim of the glass a few times, in a vigorous manner.
- Repeat for the other three glasses.
- What are the different kinds of sounds you hear? Which one is of a higher pitch?
WHY THIS HAPPENS
Sound travels through water at approximately 1,440 meters per second while it travels through glass at approximately 4,500 meters per second.
The different levels of water reduces the speed of sound, thus creating different pitches.
TRY THIS Do this experiment with sounds from wine glasses. You will find out what happens.
For more such science experiments and articles, visit http://mocomi.com/learn/science/