Name: Payal Arora Ghosh
Place of Birth: Pune
Place of Residence: Pune
- Nurturing and mentoring the minds of young children is an important job that is not always easy. You have to be patient and kind while making sure that you are imparting the right values to your students. Payal is one such dedicated mentor and nurturer of the minds and hearts of young children. Like a teacher she makes sure that children are acquiring knowledge and like a mother she makes sure they are learning about life.
What kind of a student were you in school and college?
- In school I was an average student academically. I was not very naughty and enjoyed school a lot. In college I did better than I did in school. I had fun but never neglected my academics. However I excelled in my post graduate year.
And your favourite subjects?
- My favourite subjects in school and college were English Literature, History and Psychology.
Which teacher do you remember most and why?
- Well, I have quite a few teachers I will always remember. One of the first were Miss Hyms, Miss Davidawson and Mrs Bharucha. They made me want to be a teacher par excellence like them. When I was in class 8 my parents changed my school and my teacher Mrs Bina Ray took me under her wing and became a mother to me. However when I started teaching Miss Simoes my mentor and guide made a great impact on me.
When did you realize this is what you wanted to do?
- Ever since I was little I knew I was going to teach. I used to make my siblings and friends sit in a ‘classroom’ and I used to teach. I guess I was born to teach.
If I want to do what you do, what do I have to do?
- To be a teacher one has to be passionate about teaching. It’s a job unlike any other. You have to tap into your inner child. You need a B.Ed degree from a reputed university. A Montessori course will do too but for good prospects in this field a D.Ed (Diploma in Education) or an M.Ed (Masters in Education) is better.
What’s your typical day like?
- My day begins at 5.45 when I wake up to get ready for the day. I leave home by 6.45 and have to be at work by 7.30. The day in school begins with the assembly followed by classes, tests, exams, practice for various events and ends at 2.45. It’s a full day. Most days I don’t carry work home but every now and then I have to. It’s an action packed day and very gratifying too.
What did you do with your first paycheck?
- My father always says it’s difficult to collect your first million so I HAD to simply put it in an account.
Name some joys of your profession.
- Everything about my job is a joy. No two days are the same and it is by far the most respectable job ever. The best part is we get lots holidays and that too all paid!
What makes you successful at what you do?
- The only thing that will make you successful at any thing you do is an honest day’s work and loads of passion for what you do….if you love it, it will love you back.
Were you named after anyone?
- Nah…but I do hope a lot of little girls are named after me!
What are some of your hobbies or passions?
- I am absolutely passionate about reading. It’s all I do wherever I am. I always have a book in my bag. It is also very helpful in my profession to be an avid reader.
What is the most thrilling experience in your life?
- About four years ago I went to Goa. My husband encouraged me to go para-sailing. It has been my most thrilling experience so far and I hope to have many more thrilling experiences in life!
What book are you reading right now?
- Right now i am reading an adaptation of Shakespeare’s stories!
What is your animal spirit? Why?
- I identify with the chameleon because just like the chameleon changes its colour to blend with the surroundings, I too can adapt to suit the situation.
For more such interesting Professions list for kids, don’t forget to visit our professions page.