A vintage car is an automobile which was built between 1919 and 1930. However, people today term cars built till 1970 also as “classic” or “vintage.” Allen Swift, an American, drove a Rolls-Royce for a record 78 years, from 1928-2005!
Best Vintage Cars of all Time :
- The 1927 Ford Model T
- The 1932 Alpha Romeo 8C 2300
- The 1929 Bentley, was owned for 35 years by the Maharaja of Bhavnagar
- The 1938 Bugatti Type 57 C Special Coupe
- The 1912 Rolls-Royce Double Pullman Limousine- the inspiration for the Silver Ghost.
- The most expensive vintage car. Only four cars of the Bugatti Type 57 SC Atlantic were manufactured in 1934. Out of these four, only two have survived till date and have become the most expensive vintage cars. One of these two was sold for $30 million!
- Vintage Cars and Indian Royalty. Indians own more than 6000 vintage cars. During the British rule, the maharajas of India bought one out of every four Rolls-Royces that were manufactured. Many of these cars can be seen even today and are also driven at many vintage car rallys.
- The Rolls Royce Phantom II “Star of India” was built for the Maharaja of Rajkot in 1934. The Maharaja of Nabha owned the 1910 Broke Swan Car for seven decades. It has a striking resemblance to a swan. Its beak , when open, let the drivr spray steam to clear the road in front of the car. Brushes on thr tyres cleaned the wheels as the car moved.