Christmas is right around the corner and the best way to get into the holiday spirit is to make some DIY Christmas decorations!
These decorations involve minimal materials but involve the maximum amount of fun! Children can do this activity independently, but it is best to cover surfaces with a layer of newspaper before beginning. Acrylic paint is recommended here as it dries faster and lasts longer than watercolours. A strong PVA glue is the easiest to find and use. If adults are involved, a hot glue gun can also be used.
Things You Will Need -
- Popsicle sticks (washed and dried completely)
- Acrylic paints in green, red, white and gold
- PVA glue
- Glitter (in shades of your choice)
- Stick on plastic jewels, buttons and other decorations
- Twine or wool
How to Do It -
- Begin by covering the work surface with newspapers to avoid any spillages or accidents.
- Paint the popsicle sticks on both sides with an even layer of acrylic paint. Choose a variety of bright colours to make the snowflakes look appealing.
- Wait for the popsicle sticks to dry before beginning to work with them.
- Place a dab of glue on the centre of a popsicle stick and place another stick perpendicularly across it. Press down to glue it in place.
- Place a dab of glue on the topmost stick and glue another stick diagonally across it. Press down again in order to secure it in place. Do the same with another stick in the diagonally opposite direction.
- Using dabs of glue, glue on buttons and other decorations along the arms of the snowflakes. You can also stick glitter in patterns along the edges of the snowflake to add festive cheer.
- On the back of one end of the bottom-most popsicle stick, put a dab of glue and stick on a loop of string. Wait for this to dry before attempting to pick up the snowflake.
- Allow the entire snowflake to dry before touching it or hanging it up for decoration.