16 Interesting Facts about Vampires
- Vampires, the word itself reminds us of movies like the Dracula . There are thousands of vampire myths and legends seen throughout history.
- Like legendary monsters it is difficult to prove whether vampires are real or not. An example, In the past scientists thought the legendary sea monster Kraken was a fantasy, until they found the giant squid that resembled these creatures.
- If you see a vampire you may not live to tell the others about it and hence they are difficult to detect. They operate secretly and might be around but we may not know, sounds spooky.
- The origin of vampires is still a mystery.
- Vampires are the ‘Un dead’ blood sucking night creatures like the ones we see in movies or read about in books.
- They are immortal and are said to mostly survive on human blood. They have fangs and usually bite the neck of humans and suck blood from it.
- They can also drink from the vein in the thigh. It is said that vampires are able to control the animal kingdom and can easily turn into bats, owls, wolves and rats.
- Vampires are very fast, they usually sleep during the day as they cannot tolerate sunlight and are hence not seen during the day.
- The first vampire is believed to have been a human named ‘Ambrogio’ who was an adventurer born in Italy. Fate brought Ambrogio to Delphi, in Greece. It is said that curses and blessings changed this man in to the first vampire.
- They say Ambrogio was cursed by the sun god causing his skin to burn if sunlight touched it. The moon goddess too gave her curse that his skin would burn every time he touched silver.
- The only blessing he got was of being immortal. He was blessed with tremendous strength and speed.
- Vampires are considered immortal due to their super human strengths, but tales show that they can be destroyed with the use of a wooden stake through the heart.
- A person can turn into a vampire by just being bitten by one. It is said that to become a vampire the person who has been bitten needs to drink the vampire’s blood too, only then they will rise as vampires.
- Just being bitten and drained of blood leads to death. Besides the wooden stakes, garlic, holy water, silver and crosses or other religious objects are also used to kill vampires.
- Vampires only enter your home when invited. It is believed a vampire cannot cross a threshold unless they have been invited and thus thresholds have a significant symbolic value in history.They sleep in coffins.
- A group of them is called a clutch, clan, pack or brood.
2 Categories of Vampires
- The Hollywood and literary vampires
- The folklore vampires
The Hollywood vampires look pale, old, beautiful and need to be bitten to become one.
Folklore vampires are recently dead, they are peasants. They become vampires not only through a bite but even if they have been a werewolf or have committed suicide or practiced sorcery. These vampires initially emerge as soft without bones and if they survive for forty days they develop bones and have a body becoming more dangerous and difficult.
For more such interesting General Knowledge articles and videos, visit: http://mocomi.com/learn/general-knowledge/