To know or not to know, that is the question! Well, wouldn’t you prefer to know?
Hamlet, an ever curious hamster, is on a quest to learn new and interesting facts about the world around us. With a new subject each time, Hamlet explores intriguing facts that you may not have heard before. He’s bored of the same old facts about the same old things. You may feel like you already know everything there is to know about everything, but there’s a whole world out there for you to explore and unknown facts you may not already know! Why not shake things up with Hamlet’s curiosity and great sense of humour? Take this fun fact loaded adventure with him!
12 Fascinating Facts about the Human Heart
1. The thump thump of a heart beat is the sound made by the valves of the heart opening and closing.
2. The adult heart is the size of a large fist.
3. The human heart beats 35 million times a year. That’s 2.5 billion times through your life!
4. All of the blood in your body travels through your heart once every minute.
5. A woman’s heart beats faster than a man’s, with a woman’s at 78 beats per minute and a man’s at 70 beats per minute.
6. Every cell in the body gets blood from the heart except your corneas.
7. Blood is actually a tissue.
8. If all the blood vessels in your body were laid out end to end, they would extend to a 100,000 kms! That’s almost 2 ½ times around the Earth!
9. A kitchen faucet would need to be turned on all the way for 45 years to equal the amount of blood pumped by the heart in an average life time.
10. The youngest person to receive heart surgery was one minute old.
11. Laughing is good for your heart. It lowers blood pressure and reduces stress hormone levels, improving overall cardiovascular health.
12. The heart has its own electrical supply and will continue to beat when separated from the body as long as it has a supply of oxygen.