10 Cool Facts about Antarctica
- Over 98% of Antarctica is covered by the unbroken polar ice sheet.
- If the ice sheet melted, the oceans would rise by around 65 meters.
- The size of the Antarctic ice sheet doubles every winter.
- The elevation at the south pole is 9300 feet although the bedrock is only a 100 feet above above sea level.
- It is the driest and coldest place on earth.
- The lowest recorded temperature in history is -128 degrees F.
- Antarctica is the 5th largest continent with a population of 0.
- Antarctica is the only continent with no countries.
- Samples of ice extracted from the ice sheet give scientists valuable information about the earth’s climate from millions of years ago.
- Antarctica is the only continent with no indigenous species of animals.
For more interesting Geography articles and videos, visit: https://mocomi.com/learn/geography/