India has a diverse physiography, climate and soil. Because of this, a variety of food crops are grown.
Following are the most widely cultivated food crops in India.
- India is the second largest producer of the rice in the world.
- It is the most important crop and 34% of India’s land is covered with rice fields.
- Major rice producing states are: West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab.
- Wheat is another major crop cultivated in India.
- Uttar Pradesh cultivates 35% of the total wheat produced in the country.
- The major wheat producing states are: Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana.
- This crop is grown where the climate is hot and dry.
- Maharashtra cultivates 50% of the the total jowar produced in the country.
- Jowar producing states include: Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu.
- Pulses are grown in dry climatic regions of India. It is a major source of protein.
- Madhya Pradesh is the leading pulses producing state in India.
- Madhya Pradesh Produces 24% of the total pulses in the country.
Name 5 other important crops of India. Also find out where they are grown and what are the climatic conditions necessary for their growth.
For more interesting Geography articles and videos, visit: https://mocomi.com/learn/geography/