Asia : Largest Continent in the World
Asia is the world’s largest and most diverse continent in terms of religion, cultures and languages. Asia borders Africa and Europe to the west and the Pacific Ocean to the east. Asia is bounded by the Arctic Ocean on the north, the Indian Ocean on the south, the Pacific Ocean on the east, and Europe on the west. The continent of Asia can be divided into six sub categories—Northern Asia, Southern Asia, Eastern Asia, Western Asia, Central Asia and South East Asia. It lies almost entirely in the northern hemisphere of the Earth and the seasons are more or less similar all throughout the continent.
Asia has almost every type of climate found in the world. The key factors that influence Asia’s climate are its vast land area, its location between the Arctic and the Tropics, and the great range in elevation from sea level to the high plateaus and mountains.
According to a popular belief, the name Asia is derived from an Assyrian word ‘Asu’ meaning ‘East’. The continent of Asia has been home to some of the greatest ancient civilizations like the Chinese and the Harappan civilizations.
13 Interesting Facts about Asia
- The continent of Asia is home to more than 60% of the total population of the world and is therefore the most populous continent in the world.The population of Asia is growing at a rate of approximately 2%.
- Asia covers 30% of the Earth’s surface.
- Both the highest point in the world (Mount Everest) and the lowest point on Earth (Dead Sea) lie in Asia.
- World’s most populous country, China, is located in Asia.
- Asia is regarded as the birth place of some of the greatest religions – Hinduism, Islam and Buddhism.
- In most of the Asian countries, people speak more than one language. For example, in Indonesia people speak more than 600 languages, in India, people speak more than 415 languages and in Philippines, more than 100 languages are spoken.
- Many exotic animals like reticulated pythons,tigers,pandas, yaks and Indian rhinos are found here.
- Asia is constituted by a total of 48 countries.
- The largest oil producing countries—Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia—are also in Asia.
- The Yangtze River that flows in China is the longest river in Asia.
- Asia’s largest desert is the Gobi desert.
- Singapore, an Asian country, is the most urbanized country in the world.
- Asia’s economy ranks third in the world.
If you liked this article, you’ll definitely love reading our article on 7 Continents of The World : https://mocomi.com/continents-of-the-world/