Made in India : What makes our India unique?
- India has the largest democratic government in the world, with 29 states, 29 chief festivals, 22 main languages and 1600 dialects.
- The Indian army just celebrated its 65th birthday. It is the second largest army in the world, having the largest voluntary, democratic and multicultural body, free from political interferences, and has fought against the maximum number of world enemies. It has won more than 62 awards for valor, fought in the most hazardous conditions, been a part of UN peacekeeping forces, helped the UN by contributing over 8000 troops, helped its countrymen during plague and distress, and has been a champion in many difficult sports competitions.
- 2 lakh office workers receive tiffin lunch in Mumbai at the measly rate of Rs 600/month from 5000 people, with an efficiency rate of 99.9%.
- India’s Amul produces over seventy million tones of milk every year.
- Hero Cycles produces six million cycles a year thus making it the largest manufacturers of cycles in the world.
- The Indian railway is the largest in the world with 115,000 kms of tracks, 10000 daily trains, , 1.4 million employees. It carries over 24 million passengers a day! It sure is sturdy and reliable.
- What about our famous Bollywood movies? They provide food and shelter to 7.2 million people and gross Rs 6000 crore a year in about 300 films. Bollywood produces more films a year than Hollywood.
- What about studies? Did you know that it is more difficult to get admission into IIM Ahmedabad than the Ivy Leagues of USA?
- The Indian curry (from the Tamil word kari) is the most famous in the world. Whenever Indian food is mentioned, the word curry is always present. There are a plethora of curries and they are available in every corner of the world. Curry reduces cancer and heart diseases.
- Indian food has its roots tracing back from 3000 B.C with the Indus Valley population. The Basmati rice (from the Sanskrit word fragrant) is produced in large amounts (seven million tonnes a year) and India is the world’s biggest manufacturer of rice.
- There are also some weird foods like black rice which turns purple on cooking, sorpotel (made from discarded parts of any animal), baby shark curry and nahkham (ashes and dried fish).
- The Tirumala Devasthanam Hindu temple earns Rs 500 crore/year and attracts 45000 devotees/day!
- The Nehru jacket with its detailed cut and finishes and the mandarin collar is an inspiration to suits all over the world.
- The Indian sari is traditional attire that only belongs to this country and is considered a brand for Indian wear worldwide. It is an art to wrap the sari like a circle around the body and create elegant folds.
- Mukesh Ambani (one of the richest person in the world) has a 800,000 square feet house that has 27 floors and cost over one billion dollars to construct.
- India uses simple methods. The Angadia couriers have 5000 employees carrying priceless diamonds in simple packs and transporting them all over India. The Lijjat papad company started on Rs 80 and with seven women making papads on a terrace. Its sales touched Rs 300 crore and this company provides jobs to 40000 people.
- India still believes in using the digit 0 before dialing any STD code!
- The Indian voting count is the largest in the world, amounting to over 550 million votes cast in 2014.
To read and watch more such such interesting General Knowledge articles and videos, go here.