Our teeth help us in more ways than one. Find out what they are with the help of this animated learning module.
Interesting Fun Facts about Teeth
- Teeth play a very important role in our day to day lives.
- They help you form words so that you can speak properly.
- They help you bite and chew food so that it is easier to swallow and digest.
- To chew or not to chew, there is no question.
- Then show when you are happy and having clean and healthy teeth is really something to be happy about.
Teeth are made up of three layers of varying densities
- Enamel- a hard protective outer layer
- Dentine – a second protective layer covering the nerve of the tooth
- Pulp – also called the nerve, is the soft middle part of the tooth that has a blood supply and nerve endings.
Everybody gets two sets of teeth in their lifetime. Your first set is called milk teeth. It begins to sprout when you are 6 months old. By the time you are two and half, all 20 have grown in. By the time you turn 6, your milk teeth begin to fall out. This is because your permanent set is on its way.
Since your jaw grows alongs with the rest of your body, you have place to accommodate the 32 teeth in your permanent set.
Even though your milk teeth are only temporary, it is important to care for them, because the healthier and stronger your milk teeth are, the better it will be for your permanent set.
Head on to Biology for Kids for more such interesting biology videos and interactive articles.