Look! In the sky. It’s not a bird, plane, or even superman for that matter. It’s a drone. Probably on a delivery run. Sounds futuristic doesn’t it? But it’s true. Pretty soon, drones in the sky would be an all-too common sight. But first, let’s learn a little about these cool flying machines.
What are Drones?
A drone is an aircraft powered and controlled by computer technology. Which means that it doesn’t need a pilot in it to fly it. It’s also called a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle). A drone can either be pre-programmed or be remotely controlled by a pilot. Drones are guided by in-built GPS systems or the pilot controlling them.
What are Drones used for?
There are mainly two types of drones – military and civilian. Both of these are used for myriad purposes, ranging from surveillance and monitoring, as also for delivery of products and services, photography and such. In fact, a majority of drones are used for non-military purposes.
14 Interesting Facts about Drones
- The largest manufacturer and exporter of military and defense drones is Israel.
- The most expensive military drone is the US-made MQ 9 Reaper, which costs around 14 million USD.
- The most expensive passenger carrying drone is the China – made Ehang 184, which costs around 300,000 USD.
- The first “armed” drones were created by the USA, while in pursuit of Osama Bin Laden. Since then, armed drones have been used in countless missions.
- Drones are used not only for military purposes, but also to help the police fight crime.
- Drones are used not only for crime and military surveillance, but environmental surveillance as well.
- Drones are used for humanitarian causes as well, such as delivering food and aid to remote areas.
- Did you know that drones also help farming? Farmers use drones to map out their crops – to check irrigation systems, and also determine which areas of crops are sick/healthy and make adjustments accordingly.
- Drones have also been used by many retailers to deliver their products.
- Drones are widely used in covering all kinds of news and international tournaments.
- Drones have also captured creative minds, and have founds users in all kinds of creative fields, from photography to music and even stage setup.
- Even the real estate market has started using drone tours to their benefit.
- Drones are heavily used in the movie industry to capture beautiful cinematic shots.
- Nowadays, drones are easily available for everyone to purchase and use for really low prices to boot. This also gives rise to concerns regarding privacy however, and has caused numerous debates by human rights activists.
Drones are super cool, aren’t they?