What you like and what you don’t like?
- We like something because we get a certain amount of pleasure and happiness from it.
- We like something based on how we see, hear or feel it and what we believe that thing to be
- If you see shrimp as a slimy yucky sea creature, you won’t like to eat it.
- But if you see shrimp as a tasty delicacy, you will like to eat it for sure!
- Our likes and dislikes are initially shaped by our parent’s likes and dislikes.
It is a psychological function!
Liking something is a psychological function which is associated to many conditions like:
You tend to like something that is familiar to you
You tend to like something because you have liked something in reference to it before.
You might like something because you associate it with a good memory but are unaware of it.
Now, let’s see why do some people like somethings which other people don’t?
Why do some people like scary or tragic movies?
Because they feel it will help them prepare to deal with pain and fear later in life.
Why do some people like spicy food?
It is because of the delicious moment of escape it provides when the heat subsides.
Why do we like something a lot and then after a few years don’t like it at all?
Sometimes we get very attached to something because of the memories associated with it, but as we grow older it becomes less important to us.