5 Amazing Facts about Deep Sea Creatures
- The Sunlit Zone is about 500 feet deep from the surface. Most of the sea creatures live here.
- The Twilight Zone reaches down to about 3300 feet.
- The Midnight Zone can be as deep as 9,800 feet. Deep sea creatures live in this zone.
- Most deep sea creatures have a cell in their body that enables them to make light to survive here. This is known as Bioluminescence.
- This light enables the creatures to find their way and attract prey.
3 Strange Deep Sea Creatures
The Angler Fish– An angler fish has a long fishing rod fin with a light at the end. So smaller fish think it is food and swim towards it.
The Giant Squid– None of them have been seen alive. We only know about them from their dead bodies that have been washed ashore or have been caught in fishing nets. They have sharp beaks.
The Vampire Squid– Its arms are covered with sharp tooth-like spikes. It can extend its arms to twice its body length to catch prey. When threatened, it can draw its arms up over itself and form a defensive web.
For more such interesting General Knowledge articles and videos for kids.