Early Childhood – A genius was born
Albert Einstein was born in Germany in 1879, to a Jewish family. His father was an engineer and a salesman.
Einstein wasn’t a very bright student. He even had problems with his speech.
When he was five years old, Einstein saw a magnetic compass and marvelled at the needle that kept moving with an invisible force. At age 12, he found a book on geometry which he read over and over again.
Einstein wanted to pursue math and science . The problem was, he wasn’t very good at taking tests . However, he was always analytical .
In 1905, Einstein submitted a paper for his doctorate and also had four papers published in the best known physics journal at that time.He became a well known name in the academic world.
Being Jewish, Einstein knew he would have problems in Nazi Germany and so he migrated to the United States in 1933.
Einstein’s Theory of Relativity
- Albert Einstein was working as a patent clerk in Germany in 1905 when he developed his famous Theory of Relativity (E=mc2).
- The theory simply states that the speed of light (constant, c) is the fastest speed in the universe and relates energy (E) and mass (M). It talks about how time and distance can change due to the different speeds of an object and its observer.
Albert Einstein’s Inventions
- Photons : He discovered that light is made up of small particles called photons and was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1921.
- Bose-Einstein Condensate : Einstein discovered a state of matter with another scientist, Satyendra Bose. Today it is used in things like lasers.
- Atomic Bomb : Not directly connected with inventing it, but his Theory of Relativity is connected with the invention of the atomic bomb.
Albert Einstein Facts
- Albert Einstein failed his first entrance exam for college.
- He was offered the presidency of Israel.
Albert Einstein Quotes
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
To read more interesting biographies of famous people, browse though our huge collection of short biographies for kids.