What is a Hoverboard?
Basically a skateboard without wheels, that ‘glides’, ‘hovers’ or ‘flies’ in air.
How does a Hoverboard Work?
- Using plasmagnetic technology, force field air-cushion technology and electromagnetic technology.
- Electromagnetic repulsion or magnetic levitation technology: The engine basically uses magnets!
- A magnetic field in conjunction with electric current is the key.
The Principle :
1. Electric currents and magnetic fields.
2. Similar poles repel each other.
3. Reversing the polarity.
The main problem with using this technology is that the coils inducing electricity tend to attain high temperatures in a very short time, and a restricted magnetic track is not exactly hovering freely!
Using Super Conductors?
Use of superconductors may reduce the high temperatures of the coils but a feasible superconductor working on room temperature is yet to be made!
Since this technology is still in its R&D stage, no patented model is out yet. Many experimental boards or prototypes have sprung up, mainly using electromagnetic technology.