10 Interesting Facts about Sharks
- Sharks have been around for nearly 400 million years and were about 200 million years older than dinosaurs.
- Out of over the 350 different species of sharks that we have, only about 30 of these species have ever attacked humans.
- To protect their eyes from attack, a shark can roll them back into its head.
- A shark’s mouth has up to six rows of triangular teeth. Some sharks have as many as three thousand teeth.
- Sharks cannot chew their food. If the meal is too large to swallow, they shake it from side to side to saw it into chunks.
- Sharks eat even other sharks.
- Sharks never sleep and don’t stop swimming, as they do not have air balloons like other fish in them which makes them sink.
- Sharks have the same five human senses like us. Besides this they have two more senses.
- One is a lateral line, that runs down each side of the shark’s body. This is a line of pressure – sensitive points under the skin. These help the shark sense small vibrations in the water.
- The second, is that sharks have tiny pores on their head, called the ampullae of Lorenzini. This allows the shark to sense the faint electrical charges given off by all living things.
Click here for more such interesting general knowledge articles and videos for kids.