If you are a lefty, cheer up! There is a day to celebrate your uniqueness! Celebrated every year on 13th of August, this day was first observed in the year 1976.
What is Handedness?
The preference of using a particular hand with proficiency is called handedness.
4 Types of Handedness
- Right-Handedness : About 70-90%
A preference to use the right hand is known as right-handedness.
- Left-Handedness : About 10%
A preference to use the left hand is known as left-handedness.
- Mixed-Handedness : About 30%
Using right or left hand for different activities, is known as mixed-handedness.
- Ambidexterity : About 1%
If one can use both the hands proficiently and at the same time, is known as ambidexterity!
Lefty or Southpaw, as they are called in a fun way, experience a tough world. The world around us is dominantly made to function effectively for the people who are more comfortable using their right hands. The frustration of using a mouse made for right handed people, the difficulty in using scissors, playing a guitar which is generally right hand oriented all add up to the fact that this world is made for the right handers’ convenience. Even so, the left handed people know how to make their way out as shown by the fact that we have a number of left handed presidents, left handed celebrities and artists such as:
5 Famous Left Handed People
3 Amazing Facts about Left Handed People
- They tend to have a greater creative and aesthetic sense than their counterparts.
- They tend to be geniuses. About 20% of toppers of SATs are left handed!
- They are easily embarrassed.
Did You Know
Sinistrophobia is fear of left handedness or anything that is on the left side.
Things to do to celebrate Left Handers’ Day
- If you have a left handed friend, surprise him or her with gifts such as a left-handed guitar or scissor! Help them make their life simpler.
- Make a lefty zone. Whoever enters this zone will have to use his left hand for doing everything.
- Write with your left hand for an entire day.
Being a lefty, is all right! Celebrate this super power!
To read more interesting festivals for kids, click here.