12 Interesting Facts about the Taj Mahal
- The Taj Mahal was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, in loving memory of his beautiful wife, Mumtaz Mahal.
- The construction of the Taj Mahal started in 1631 and it took 22 years to build this historical monument.
- The architecture of the Taj Mahal is a combination of Persian, Islamic and Indian Architecture Style.
- The construction cost of this masterpiece monument was around Rs. 320 million.
- Around 20000 people worked day and night for 22 years. Ustad AhmadLahauri was the architect of the Taj Mahal.
- Around 1000 elephants were employed for the transportation of construction material.
- 30 different varieties of semi precious and precious stones were used to make the Taj Mahal more beautiful.
- The Taj Mahal is perfectly symmetrical in every way, except for one thing–the two tombs inside are not equal in size. This is because the male tomb had to be larger than the female tomb.
- At different times of the day, the Taj Mahal appears to be in a different color every time. It appears pink in the morning, white in the day and changes its color to golden in the moon light.
- Many types of marbles were used in the construction of the Taj Mahal. They were brought over from many different states & countries including China, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Arabia.
- In recent times, different studies suggest that the Taj Mahal is sinking in the Yamuna river.
- Every year, the Taj Mahal attracts around 3-4 million tourists, with a huge number of international tourists.
Read here The Reign of Shah Jahan, visit: https://mocomi.com/shah-jahan/