India’s Commonwealth Games Medal Tally
The Commonwealth Games (CWG) takes place between 73 countries which used to be part of the British Empire. In CWG Glasgow 2014, India won 64 medals, ending in the top 5 nations.
This isn’t India’s best performance, since India won 101 medals in CWG 2010. Some sports in which India had won medals then, were dropped or cut down this time.
Still, there are many reasons to celebrate India’s performance this time. India grabbed gold medals in 15 events, silver in 30 and bronze in 19 events.
Indian Players at Glasgow CWG 2014
- Kashyap Parupalli became the first Indian to win the CWG badminton men’s singles gold after 32 years. Syed Modi had won gold in this event in 1982.
- The pair of Dipika Palikal and Joshana Chinappa won India its first ever gold medal in CWG squash.
- Dipa Karmarkar won the bronze in women’s vault, the first ever medal for India in the women’s gymnastics category.
- Vikas Gowda became the first Indian athlete to win a gold medal in men’s discus throw after 56 years. Milkha Singh had last won a gold for India in men’s athletics, at the Cardiff Games in 1958.
- Apurvi Chandela shattered the CWG record in women’s 10m air rifle shooting.
- The wrestlers did India proud. None of them returned empty handed. They won 5 gold, 6 silver and 3 bronze medals. India topped in weightlifting.
- There were hopes that these athletes would win gold but they had to settle for silver: Vijender Singh in boxing, Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa in women’s doubles badminton and the Indian hockey team.
To read more interesting Sports for kids articles, CLICK HERE