What is Olympics?
Olympic Games are grouped into Summer Olympic Games and Winter Olympic Games. Summer Olympic Games or the game of Olympiad was introduced in the year 1896. There were four groups of athletics events such as track events, field events, road events and combined events. Winter Olympic Games took place for the first time in 1924. In the beginning it included five games namely, bobsleigh, curling, ice hockey, Nordic skiing and skating which were subdivided further in later days. Several world records were made in Olympics.
Top 5 Summer Olympic World Records
- Swimmer Michael Phelps from United States set world record by receiving 8 gold medals in Beijing (2008).He made world records in 400 individual medley, 4×100 meter and 200 metre freestyle relays, 100 and 200 metre butterfly.
- Sprinter Usain Bolt from Jamaica earned the title of World’s fastest man in Beijing by winning 100metres in 9.69 seconds(2008)
- Melani Walker from Jamaica won gold medal by capturing 400 metres hurdles record in 52.64 seconds at Beijing (2008)
- Swimmer Rebecca Adlington from United Kingdom set 800 metres freestyle record with a time of 8:18.06 in Beijing (2008)
- Nadia Elena Comaneci from Romania won three gold medals in Montreal and scored 10 out of 10 in an Olympic gymnastic event (1976)
Top 5 Winter Olympic World Records
- Canadian freestyle Skier Alexandre Bilodeau from Montreal received gold medal in men’s moguls held in Vancouver (2010).He scored 26.75 points.
- Mikaela Shiffrin from USA became the youngest – ever Olympic champion(18 years and 345 days) in Alpine skiing held in Sochi (2010)
- Ole Einar Bjorndalen , Norwegian biathlete became the winner of the Sprint 10 km and mixed relay held in Sochi (2014)
- In speed skating Sven Kramer from Netherlands won men’s 5000 metres in Sochi (2014)
- Noriaki Kasai from Japan became the oldest ski jumper to receive medal in Winter Olympics at Sochi (2014).He received silver medal in large hill individual and bronze medal in team large hill.
Rio 2016 Olympics
Rio 2016, the Summer Olympics officially known as Games of the XXXI Olympiad was held in Rio de Jeneiro, Brazil from 5 to 21 August 2016. There were 28 sports, 41 disciplines and 306 events in this summer Olympic. Two new sports added to the list were golf and rugby seven. The events held at 33 venues in the city of Rio and 5 venues in cities namely, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Brasília, and Manaus. Cate Campbell, woman swimmer from Australia broke 100 metres world record this time.